Thread: Straws!
View Single Post

Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 AM
Default Forced Plastic Use

I always as for at least "no straw for the water" if I forget to bring my own straw. For heaven sake, people can switch their straw back and forth if they have water and a drink they bought, if they just feel it is somehow icky to drink from the rim. But I agree, bring a straw or no straw are the best options.

The Publix at Mulberry often forces me to use plastic. I must remember to say "no plastic" or they will wrap multiple items, such as chicken, in a plastic bag before putting it in my cloth bag. Most offensive are what are usually older ******* who "know best'. Even when I ask for "no plastic", and make sure they heard, they ignore me and wrap items in plastic before putting them in my cloth bags. So I have to either watch them as they work, or ask them to allow me to bag my own. It seems odd to me - their generation grew up on "the customer is always right". If I have not had a leak in 60 years of shopping and think it unlikely that I will both have a leak and that fluids will penetrate past the shield at the bottom of plastic bags, that is my right.

The ******* also have an annoying way of carefully turning down the edges of my cloth bags before putting anything in them. This both takes up much of my time, and that of those in line, plus diminishes the capacity of the bag. Its totally unnecessary, the bag can easily be filled without turning down the edges. They frown and protest if I ask them not to turn down the edges of the cloth bags.

You know - they happily accommodate customers who insist on one, two or three items in each bag. Why can't they happily accommodate customers who do not want any plastic bags? Makes no sense.