View Single Post

Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Default Re: Your lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawglvr View Post
Ten months ago we moved into our newly built home, with a new lawn. We immediately hired Superior Pest Control for our lawn care. As our lawn was dying, Superior gave the following: too little water; too much water; needed fertilizer; mower guy was responsible; maybe too much water during the winter.

Called the builder about three to four months ago. They told me to fire Superior and hire Deans. Deans came out and took soil samples. They stated the soil was too high in calcium and low in magnesium. They stated our lawn needed to be aerated and a top soil put on the sod.

The guy came out to aerate our lawn. After aerating our lawn he stated that Webworms had taken over our lawn and was eating the lawn. He would not charge me for the aeration as he stated our lawn was gone. He would not put top soil on the lawn as he indicated it would do no good.

Mico who laid our sod came out yesterday. Mico stated that our lawn was unrecoverable. They indicated our sod needed to be replaced.

Contacted the builder and home warranty. They stated that they would not replace our SOD. We would need to pay to have this done ourselves. Contractor stated if we had hired Deans and our lawn looked like this, they would have replaced our SOD. Reminded them that they gave us a list of people for lawn care when we moved in and one was Superior.

Been here less than a year and we have to purchase a new lawn.

Any suggestions ?
MY VIEW
The "lawns," around here are sod laid on top of our very poor sandy clay. If you look at what is being doen, sod is grass that has been cut out of a sod farm with about an inch of roots and quality soil. "Planting" the sod-they lay this sheets of grass on top of our poor soil. It has little chance of success.

Whose fault is it-too much too little water, the mower, more fertilizer. IT COULD BE ALL OF THEM. The real problem is improving your soil. As to too much magnesium.
Someone did a soil test-a good sign. But whoever did the soil test SHOULD have told you what to do.

This area is loaded with lime stone. Take some of the white sand that you/we are trying to grow a lawn on. Put that,"soil," into a clear glass add vinegar, a mild acid, and you will see the limestone fizz.

I would take some quality pictures of your lawn. Cut out some sample patches of grass-preferably from an area half of it brown and half of it green and bring it to the COOPERATIVE EXTENSION. They will advise you as to what could and should be done. IT IS FREE.

As to aeration etc. Other than cooperative extension, most other sources of information is someone with a business interest that needs to SELL you something..

DO NOT PANIC. First find out what to do. THEN DO IT OR HAVE IT DONE.