View Single Post

Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 PM

Try using a wifi signal analyzer on a mobile device as suggested by Dgodin.
I downloaded the Google Play "NETGEAR WiFi Analytics" app to my tablet and used it to identify the networks around me.
This wifi analyzer has a page that shows the number of networks in your vicinity and the channels their modems are using. Your modem and channel should be easily identified - it should be the strongest one and at the top of the list. See if any of the other networks are using the same channel as your modem/router. If they are, change your channel to one that is not being used by a neighbor.
You will need to get into your modem/router setup to change its channel.
I had a similar problem that took me a long time to solve. I was trying to get a wifi signal out on my lanai so I could stream music outside. As soon as I went on the lanai, the streaming stopped. I thought the concrete wall was blocking the signal from inside the house. I tried using a wifi extender but only got poor results on the lanai. That is when I tried the Netgear analyzer and found that 2 of my neighbors were using the same channel that my modem was set to (1, its default). Outside of our house, their wifi signals became strong enough that my wifi was getting overpowered. There was no problem inside. After changing my channel to one which none of my neighbors was using, I had no problem getting a signal outside of my house.
I hope this helps.