View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Veteran member

Still not convinced that it is the router. You haven't gotten the new one, so I (as a previous MS elevated tech) wouldn't consider your case closed, yet.
BTW make sure that your new router handles the latest 2013 transmission protocol 'AC'. Older ones' B' 1999, 'G', and 'N'. Best to have a device that will best handle your future devices. They recycle older modems so your 2 yr might actually be much much older. Look up the specs on your laptop WiFi card find out what transmission protocols it supports. 'AC' is the latest.

If the new router does not solve your issues, buy a USB dongle 'N' WiFi adapter, $10-$20 for the laptop.

I have seen WiFi signal strength in offices/ homes compromised by a dimmer light switch, wireless phone, wireless home theater speakers, older microwave ovens, and LCD blubs just to name a few. I also wonder if you have gotten any new appliances or WIFi devices. 2.4MHz and 5MHz are the WiFi ranges that are currently in popular use. 2.4 goes through walls/ material better and longer but suffers from slower speeds and bandwidth clutter. Even 1 other device that operates at a lower protocol could severely compromise overall system performance. I usually explain it this way: My Lambergini can go 200mph. But one of my tires is flat so I can't go over 10mph. In designing high-end PC's the performance falls to the weakest link. Networks can be affected similarly.

Keep us posted.

(Posted the above as general information so others could diagnose similar connectivity issues.)

Last edited by SFSkol; 06-17-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: clarification