Thread: Going gray
View Single Post

Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have heard talk about going gray, by having hair colored somehow to hide the fact that you are growing out.
Has anyone had this done or know of a place that does it. I would think that any colorist could do it, but would prefer one with experience in this "reverse highlight" or what ever it is. Just want to see how gray I really am. It has been years since I have seen my natural color.
I have short hair and used the same hair color for years. When people started commenting that my hair was more blonde everytime they saw me, I knew it was time to grow out the gray. I went one haircut (8 weeks) and looked like a skunk. My hairdresser suggested that she do a few foils just on top to blend the blonde and gray. It didn't take long, only had to do it once, a couple more haircuts and the blonde highlights took care of my problem while it was growing out. Painless! It was the most liberating thing I have done for myself and my gray hair is attractive if I get a good haircut. Any hairdresser who does coloring should know how to do this if you explain that you just want the foils on top to camouflage the gray growing in.