Thread: Belmont course
View Single Post

Old 06-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I played Pimlico and Churchill yesterday and the greens on both were horrendous. I played Chula Vista and Hilltop today. The greens on Chula Vista were horrible. The greens on Hilltop were just aerified and top dressed. Hilltop and Silver Lake usually have the best greens in The Villages.

I've played several regulation golf courses recently and to my surprise the greens on Belle Glade, Hacienda, Palmer and Glenview are all terrible.

I was talking to one of the course assistant managers and he told me that the budget for his regulation golf course is $52,000. That is the problem right there.

I worked at some very nice 18 hole private clubs in the 80s and their greens budgets were around $1,000,000. $52,000 is absurd. They must put nothing into these golf courses. No wonder there is so much turnover of management personnel.
When they aerify a green I would assume the machine they use is balanced to prevent creating channels or ruts. Just curious because on some greens that have recently been done the ball would seem to follow a path off the natural slope it should take. I think the top dressing sometimes have thick pockets. We mentioned this to them after playing hilltop yesterday but I quess it would be better to ask the maintenance staff.