View Single Post

Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Start with a little bit of house cleaning. Empty the recycle bin, then go into windows explorer and right click on a drive and find the disk cleanup button and purge everything, do this again but instead click on the clean system files and again purge all the files. Do this for each drive. (See pics 1 & 2)

Then do some digging and do some manual purging. First make sure in the folder options you have turned on (see pic 3). Delete any folders in the root directories that look like they have random file name, these are normally temp folders for software installs. (When I say purge, delete the contents of the folder and not the folder itself.) Next start digging in the drive for any "temp" folders such as C:\Users\micro\AppData\Local\Temp were micro shown here is any one of the user names for the computer and purge any files in these folders. Look also in the \Windows folder there are also temp folders sometime buried several levels down. Purge any Temporary Internet Files folders you find. Some application create their own temp folders (see pic 4) these can usually be purged or deleted as the applications will recreate as necessary.

Generally if a file is in a temp folder it can be deleted safely, some files will not delete because they are in use, just leave them alone. This assumes you are not storing your personal data and files in a temp folder (very very poor practice).

After you purge the files then empty the recycle bin again. Do these purges for each HDD that shows up on your computer. I do this house keeping routine once a month on my systems. Don't be surprised if you free up several dozen Gig of space and delete thousands of files, this is normal for a machine that hasn't been cleaned in a while (or ever). Drop me a PM if you have more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 023 14-Jul-18 12.16.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	75723   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 024 14-Jul-18 12.17.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	75724   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 025 14-Jul-18 12.19.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	75725   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 026 14-Jul-18 12.34.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	75726  
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776