View Single Post

Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

I read the last few pages (this is a LONG thread!) and saw the long post about covenants. Is it true that you don't get to see them til closing? Why are you not allowed to see them before putting a deposit down with your offer, so you (and your lawyer) have time to go over it before making a final decision?

I see a lot of lawns in TV that are gorgeous, but I'm wondering - are lawns required? Am I allowed to gut the lawn entirely and build a rock/stone/cactus garden instead, with pebble walkways? What about flowering herbs like oregano, lavender, echinacea? What about aromatic herbs like rosemary? Am I allowed to grow them outside on my property? If I want a big ole rosemary bush outside near the front door, is that allowed? If it's not, why would I have to wait til after I've already signed on the bottom line to find this out? I ask this, because I really don't like grass all that much, especially grass that is so thick you could need stitches if you got cut by a blade of it, and you couldn't walk barefoot on it even if you wanted to because the fireants would have a field day with your feet.

I really don't see the point of "lawns." Never did, though my home growning up, and our home now, have them. The one in our home now is mostly ant-hills and well-mown clover, and I have absolutely zero interest in making it "look pretty." Especially since maintaining that pretty look would cost us a small fortune around here where I live.

It's not a deal breaker, but if I can reduce chemical pesticides (I know it's not 100% avoidable), add herbs and shrubs that naturally repel insects, make a lawnscape instead of a lawn that looks pretty but isn't some astro-turf-looking green expanse, I'd really like to know that in advance. It'd be one "concern" resolved and removed from my list.