View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 05:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdr View Post
I hear a lot of talk about "Don't Buy Annuities". I agree that not all annuities are the same and everyone is different. But my experience is just the opposite. In 2005 I bought 4 large annuities. For 3 years they grew as did the market. When the market crashed my friends with stocks, Mutual Funds lost 50% of their net worth. My annuities switched automatically from a market based to a fixed rate. In the ensuing years as everyone lost a ton of money, my annuities rose at a steady 7% in the worst economy since The Great Depression. I never lost a penny and made a lot of money with never a worry. Annuities are the reason I am here now living the good life.
Yes, stocks lost 50% in 2008. But have since recovered by 180%. By maintaining a correct asset allocation between stocks and bonds, in 2008 my portfolio went down 24%, not 50%. And over the past 30 years I have had 8.3% average return with significantly lower risk then any annuity. And you only lost money in 2008 if you sold your stocks. If you didn't sell, you lost zero.