View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

At this point it's piling on, But I agree with the majority of posters that annuities are a poor investment for MOST .. As referenced by the one dissenter on this thread, some people (very few) are happy with them.
Regarding this specific company, IF I was considering an annuity (which I'm NOT), I would discard it from consideration. Take a look at Better Business Bureau complaints .. BBB Business Profile | Athene USA | Reviews and Complaints .. reviews on usinsuranceagents web site ★ Athene Annuity Insurance Reviews - ★ Athene Annuity Insurance Company Ratings

Then there's the 2018 Bloomberg article indicating regulators in NY and Texas are investigating Athene .. Insurers Linked to Wall Street Face Scrutiny Over Irate Clients - Bloomberg

The real question, which probably isn't for public consumption, comment or blog scrutiny, is WHY you are considering an annuity .. That is, what problem are you trying to solve.. Are you looking for some sort of consistent income stream that will last for the rest of your life (lives) ? Are you investment savvy and capable of managing either a dividend paying individual stock portfolio or a balanced portfolio of mutual funds ? Are you concerned about being able to manage this as you get on in years ? Want to leave money to your heirs ? These are the elements of developing an estate plan that should lead to some alternatives that will give you steady income, perhaps some growth, and capital preservation / management ..