Thread: New Recipes
View Single Post

Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,932 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Here is another one we have had recently: Not this week, but the week before Aldi's had 2.lb bags of frozen wild caught Alaskan Cod pieces. All different sizes and shapes, just thin pieces, not the big thick pieces priced at $9.99 per bag.

Fish Chowder:
1.lb Cod Fillets
1 large Yellow Onion diced (Spanish Onion)
3 cups Diced Yellow Potatoes - not baking potatoes
1 Cup Full fat milk
1 can Evaporated milk
2 cups Water
Salt. pepper and parsley flakes

Dice and saute in 1/2 cup butter the onion. Add the two cups of water and bring to a boil, add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Lay the pieces of fish on the top and reduce heat and simmer very gently for 10 minutes. Try not to break up fish. Slowly add the milk and evaporated milk and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool completely and place in refrigerator overnight. It will thicken overnight. The following day, bring to simmer, taste and season with salt and pepper and DO NOT BOIL. Serve very warm, but not boiling hot with crusty bread.

This is a very simple recipe, but it is absolutely the best fish chowder I have made. It gave us chowder for two nights.

Message for CFrance: You may be able to find fish heads and bones at your fish market and make this even better with a good fish stock.
We used to make this with Lake Michigan white fish. Added chopped green pepper to the onion.

I made this once for a friend who had a serious lung operation. She said the butter was just dripping down her chin and she was licking the pan.

I love the fact that your chowder recipe does not come out gummy, Madelaine.

I just brought fresh sardines home from the supermarket for Crosby. I know I can find fish heads. Our kids who are visiting in October are going to love your chowder.