Thread: Traffic Circles
View Single Post

Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
...So, if you stay on the right side of the road, and go to the 3rd exit, you still have to yield to left who going to the second exit...

If you stay on the inside (left) and go to the third exit, as a resident you have to cross into the right lane, however you have to hope but the people on your right, and the people entering on your right will yield as you cross into their lane.

So, the right yields to the left, however you have to trust the right to yield for the left to get to the resident entrance, and many are new to circles.

Help.
Yes, you have to yield, but that shouldn't have happened since cars that want to enter the traffic circle must yield to cars already in the circle. So when you're in the left (inside) lane in the circle, a driver must wait until you have passed them before they enter. However, we know in the real world driver's will enter right before you, alongside you, or go all the way to the third exit in the outside lane. Therefore, you must be vigilant when driving in a traffic circle.

Just yesterday I came off Bailey Trail and entered the circle on Buena Vista by Lake Miona Rec Center and was in the left (inside) lane since I was going to the third exit, planning to take Buena Vista northbound. A driver waiting at the second exit entered the outside lane alongside me but decided to go to their third exit, when I got to my third exit they were directly in front of me and had stopped in the circle. It would of been a good case of T-Boning if I had not be vigilant. I stopped and simply laid on my horn for about 10 seconds until they moved and the truck behind them almost rear-ended them. Another rule, do not stop in a traffic circle. My favorite encounter was a driver who had stopped in the Turtle Mound traffic circle on Buena Vista to read their map.

Last edited by John_W; 08-09-2018 at 09:41 AM.