Thread: Tremors?
View Single Post

Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Not trying to start a panic on this one! Just curious;
Sunday morning at about 3:45, my husband and I were woken up by our bedroom door rattling. It has done that a couple of times before during the daytime, but this is the first time it's woken us up. We didn't feel anything, nothing was disturbed, and it's been very quiet every time it happened. Didn't even hear a large truck going by. We live about two miles south of LSL, nowhere near construction. Earthquakes in Florida are VERY RARE, but mild ones do happen occasionally. Most people never feel them. Has anyone else noticed something odd like a door or window rattling for no reason?
You probably have an air conditioning RETURN DUCT in your B/R. The return duct is the one without the adjustment lever. I have noticed the door in our M/BR would "suck closed" when we "almost" closed it and sometimes when the A/C kicks on or there is a strong wind outside the door rattles if it is closed. The homes are tightly sealed around here so the return air pressure can close (or rattle) your door. Sometimes the air gets pulled through the house from a small air leak under a door or through the garage just from wind.

You can be pretty sure if it were a tremor it would be reported on the news, even if it was a tiny one. We had a number of very tiny ones in NJ within 3 miles of our home over the years only 1 of which we felt and every one was reported on the news as if it were the east coast version of the San Francisco quake. It also could be poltergeists but I'd bet on air pressure from outside coming in and up through the return duct in the B/R shaking the door.

(My explanation may be scientifically off - but the theory is right - air pressure can cause the rattle)

edit: we're a little over 2mi S. of LSL in Amelia