Thread: Nike
View Single Post

Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is so complicated. This whole thing. When a protest uses a much loved symbol and practice, many people are upset and confused.

Colin Kaepernick protested against the symbol of the United States, the flag and the anthem, because he believes that there are many arrests made by law enforcement officers that are unfair and racist. It was directed against what he and many believe to be widespread and wrong. He and many NFL players protested by doing an opposite action, (kneeling instead of standing) because they feel that many are profiled and killed by law enforcement officers across this land just because they are black.

Their anger and sadness are understandable, and this country is one that it is safe to protest and speak out.
If a person wanted change, this certainly could and did draw attention to the problem. However it also angered and upset people who were raised to be very patriotic and who were raised to respect the flag.

The other side felt the kneelers actions were inappropriate and offensive, even though many would agree with their sense of injustice. It also was hurtful to all of the law enforcement officers in this country who are fair and not racially biased and who behave fairly every day.

I think there is a time and a place for everything, but it seems all of those rules on how people should act in a socially acceptable way are being overthrown and challenged. I feel very uncomfortable about it. I am very glad that Rosa Parks rode that bus instead of involving the flag and the anthem.

In my opinion protesting is a right and a privilege and shouldn't break laws or disrespect the flag or the anthem.