Thread: Nike
View Single Post

Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I applaud Nike’s decision. Yes, it is a marketing ploy and a highly effective one. Methinks a lot more urban youths will be wearing Nike than ever before. But it is also a very telling message. Kaepernick really did lose his career for kneeling. To an athlete to not be able to play during the height of their ability is akin to a long, slow death. He felt he needed to get a message out. He could have simply made a statement that he did not mean to disrespect the anthem, the flag and our nation, and would not kneel again, and all would have been forgiven. He didn’t.

I know that both my father (a career officer who worked his way up the ranks and served in both WWII and Korea) and my brother (three tours in Nam because he felt his knowledge could save lives) would defend the right to kneel even if they might have disagreed with the message. I was taught that protest was far more American than apple pie, harkening back to the Boston Tea Party. I learned that loud, public protests could help end a war. I saw that quiet, peaceful marches and speeches and actions could bring about needed changes. I discovered that actions by celebrities can make a difference.

I’m not surprised by the vitriol spewed here but I am saddened by it. To say that someone is unAmerican or loves America less than you because they want to bring an injustice to the forefront is just wrong. I thought we had learned something from the old “America, love it or leave it,” but, apparently, I was wrong.

You don’t have to like the way someone protests but do try to understand the reason behind the protest, respect their right to protest, accept that they are Americans.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 09-05-2018 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Name error