View Single Post

Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Worked a total of 41 years before retireing in 2001 at the age of 58. The last 28 years I was the director of Human Resources at Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps for the nonappropriated fund employees of the United States Marine Corps. About 10,000 civilian employees who are NOT paid with tax dollars and who run the Marine Corps exchanges, clubs and all recreation activities such as golf courses, bowling alleys, etc. We called them Morale, Welfare and Recreation Activities. Kind of Hometown U.S.A. aboard the Marine Corps Bases. They have merged into Marine Corps Community Services and now include Social Services as well. Very large organization.

I was proud to work for our Marines and their families. During my tenure, I visited many of the Marine Corps installations and met many of the civilian employees who worked in the MWR arena. Most were paid at minimum wage and many were spouses or teen children of Marines.

Wonderful support for our Marines.

I retired two months before 9/11/01 and knew many folks who worked at the Pentagon. Fortunately, none of my friends or co-workers were injured that day. I thank God for that.

I am to this day, proud of my 28 years of civilian service to the Marine Corps.