Forums

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Single Post
Complicated large stone pattern for lanai - Super job by Alexander Tile & Marble

Old 09-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Smile Complicated large stone pattern for lanai - Super job by Alexander Tile & Marble

Summary:
Claros Silver Travertine (large Versailles pattern) was purchased from The Tile Shop in Orlando at a very favorable discount. There were 366sf net installation, not counting cuts or broken stones.
My quest to get it installed included visiting and qualifying companies installing tile in TV, plus a visit from James at Alexander Tile. I selected James because of his clear understanding of the pattern and joint requirements that this small project presented. He showed respect toward the project, the high quality stone, and me.

Bidding:
Two companies declined to bid because they don't install material that they didn't sell. I received 2 other bids, one competitive but with an incomplete scope, and other was complete but priced very high. The high price visited my home in Lake Deaton and the other didn’t bother; neither followed up with a written proposal.

James submitted the only complete installation price. He was competitive, but I would have selected him even if he had been higher. He answered my questions and he made several recommendations, which I accepted. Back when I was working, I built 2 high rise Marriott Hotels and numerous office buildings as a GC project superintendent, so I knew he was an experienced pro by the way he talked and his explanation of how he was going to install the stone. I visited one of his installations and was impressed with the flatness, lack of lippage on large tiles, and consistent joints. James made my decision easy.

Installation:
A tentative start date was agreed, and when weather delayed another job, I was informed. James made up the time by leveling the lanai on a Saturday and work commenced the next Monday. Great effort was spent on the initial layout which was extremely important. As the installation progressed, we were kept informed of what to expect in production, people on site, and times of arrival and departure.

The 1/8” grout joints are very consistent and the color complements the natural stone. James took extra care to locate the most stunning stones in the most advantageous locations. The whole floor is outstanding. When I think of the rare quality of the older stone masons who installed the most important work at the Marriott Hotels in downtown Detroit and Minneapolis, I know James would fit in well. I cannot say enough good words. Thank you.

email me for more details: clinharr@umich.edu
Attached Thumbnails
img_4722-jpg   img_4723-jpg   img_4724-jpg