View Single Post

Old 10-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Default Re: Ac drain line service

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Exactly. Twice a year cleaning with vinegar avoids any problems
This issue has been often debated. I've heard BLEACH. I've heard VINEGAR. I've heard you should use nothing but WATER as bleach or vinegar damages both the AC coils and the dranin pipe.

All home may not be set up the same. Our home is five years old and we have an original extension on the end of the drain line where it connects to the equipment in the garage. Easy and quick. Once a month I pull off the plastic cap on the end of the pipe insert a funnel and pour warm/hot water down the pipe. We catch the flow through water to see how dirty the tube was. The first gallon is obviously dirty-brownish yellow with some small chunks of groth in it. Second gallon is clean-clear water not chunks-DONE. Once a year we have a periodic tune up. The service guy hooks up a wet dry vacuum to the line and pulls the water out.

They send out ONE person. According to a radio show I listen to, it cannot be properly done that way. Once he pulls the watr out all he is doing is sucking air through the line. The right way to do it is to add watter while the vacuum is runngin. So far no problems.

ASIDE-everything has a normal service life. On your AC the capacitor lasts about 4 years. The compressor about 14 years. All of your ACs are mareked with the SEER# a mathematical calculation of efficientcy. Ours is 15. I expect there are still some homes with 7 in the villages. Today 18 is readily available. The numbers and what they mean few understand-including me. I've been told by a claimed expert if I changed from 15 to18-roughly 30% my cooling bill would go down like 10%-HUH?