View Single Post

Old 10-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,066 Times in 2,542 Posts

IMO there no way knowing when garage door spring going to fail. Usually here Big Bang or pop like gun when off and rattling sound of the spring vibrating. If you listen to your garage door sound as it goes up and down you will hear change when problem has occurred. Or just look up at the springs periodically and you can see the difference in two and the popped on will be unwind and floppy on one end.

The garage door not going to fail with one spring broke, but it puts pressure on the door motor having to pull half the weight or the garage door due to both springs or more counter balances the weight of the garage door to make it easy to lift manually and easier for the door motor to lift. My house was alao built in 2003/2004 time frame. Had broken spring two years ago. Who knows how many times they have been replaced, depends on cycle times. Mine goes up and down several times a day, more cycling sooner it will fail. Ryan IMO this the best And loves cash payment. I wouldn’t even attempt to replace it myself unless I had to. IMO too dangerous for the jack of all trades.