View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
retiredguy123 and topspinno and some others here are 100% correct. I was asked to comment on this thread.

I have no "skin in this game" as I no longer do official termite inspections. You legally have to have a seperate license to do official WDO (wood destroying organisms) and I found it was just not worth the cost and training headache to maintain this additional accreditation when we are so busy doing home inspections. Most home inspectors leave this to the "bug guys". When we do an inspection by law we CANNOT say we are doing a WDO inspection, and we are not. Of course, when we do find damage or other evidence of "possible WDO" we would certainly call it out as an issue that would need to be checked out by someone "legally allowed" to weigh in on it.

By Florida law, all slabs have to be pre-treated before the build. How long that treatment lasts is debatable. a few folks elect to do their own treatments, providing they know what to buy, how to apply, etc.

Most folks hire this out. Treatments vary, the most common is Termidor.

Some folks sign up for a termite "bond". This is basically an insurance policy that will cover any treatment and repair IF an infestation and/or damage is found. If one plans on selling their home it is often reassuring to the buyer that a constant bond has been in place. Since all insurance is simply risk management, it is up to you weather you feel you would like to insure against this risk.

Some mortgages require an official Florida WDO Inspection. Some do not.

There is a difference between the much more common subterranean termite and the less found (around here) drywood termites. These are more prevalent the more south in Florida you go. The treatment for these is typically a one time treatment in the attic.

So...the big question is how big a risk are termites to your home. The risk varies....and the answers are different as to whom you ask. There is no "One size fits all" answer.

hope that helps a bit.....

Frank
Thank you very much for your input. It was very informative.