View Single Post

Old 10-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster52 View Post
I'm a member of the pickleball community. I'm an avid player. There is a strong consensus among many that indeed the Engage ball represents a significant change in how the game is played. Many players that I play with do not like the Engage ball. The ball gets soft quickly, it becomes "dead" and is harder to put away. The Engage ball will be used in a tournament this week, and many of us are playing with it in order to get a feel for the ball.

I hope The Villages stays with the Dura ball until a better alternative is available. The Dura ball is more fragile in the winter, and perhaps that is part of what is driving the proposal to change the ball.

I appreciate the fact The Village continues to provide balls for the players. We all play with the same ball, which establishes a consistency for all. If players were forced to buy their own balls, that consistency would probably be lost. Moreover, the attitude of "make the players buy their own..." is perhaps expressed by those who don't play the game, or sports in general. Pickleball costs have been factored in the budget for years. Trying to get players to band together and buy the same ball would be difficult as personal biases do exist when it comes to equipment.

The ball matters in many sports, consistency is key.
I play most every day, IMO ball is ball as long as we are all playing with the same ball. The problem IMO is two different types of balls in the basket. Heck even put different color ball in basket and it will not get used. You get use to feel, sound, And bounce of ball. Each ball has it good and bad points. Dura balls crack easily (too hard?), some are lopsided or bumpy, and bounce funny, low or high depending on what area the ball hits the court.

. Onix balls last for ever, but over time develop soft spots but bounce pretty consistent, but they cost more. IMO the engage ball is softer and bounce more consistent, but nobody wants to play with them to get use to them. Bottom line is villages supplies the balls. Once the dura balls are gone and month goes by the sun will rise again IMO.