View Single Post

Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 AM

Follow up from the OP for those who have interest in knowing the solution. I finally got it working again.

I connected with an experienced Yamaha dealer mechanic not from TV. He advised they see this issue quite frequently. The solution was to flush the transaxle again after driving it for a short period of time with the brake noise. He recommended replacing with 48 oz of high-quality gear oil mixed with 16 oz of friction modifier.

I purchased 4 Genuine Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive (4 ox each) and 2 Valvoline VV831 1 Quart High Performance Gear Oil from Amazon.

Using my air compressor and floor jack, I drained the transaxle. I used the floor jack to position the cart numerous ways and then the compressed air to drain as much of the old oil as possible from the trans axle.

One thing I did learn along the way is Yamaha has discontinued making the old style trans axle. You can no longer buy a replacement unit. If there were ever a problem most likely it would be difficult to obtain parts and most certainly a costly repair. The trans axle would need to be removed from the cart, the clutch removed and the case split in two. Lots of work. I have over 20k miles on my 2013 and wondering how long the wet friction brake pads will last. So far no one I have talked with has replaced them. If anyone knows different or has some experience with this your feedback would be appreciated. Perhaps this is something to consider when deciding to buy an used cart or getting a new one that does not have this style braking system.