View Single Post

Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxelle44 View Post
I am closing on a house and hope to get information from this forum rather than my agents. Here we go...I will be renting the place most of the year so should I get a golf cart and is there insurance that would cover my guests? Or would I really need a car? Are there private property managers other than what the Villages offers? What would you recommend for Utility companies,,,elec, gas, internet? Lawn service (small lawn), trash pick-up? I handn't thought about any of these decisions until now and I have to set them up in a week or so. Thanks!
If it's like it was in 2011 when I purchased a new CYV, about 3 to 4 weeks before closing you'll receive a packet with all the companies listed and their contact number. For electric you'll have just the choice for your area. For example I live between 466 and 466A and SECO is our electric company. They are a co-op and we never lost power during Hurricane Irma, they're a great company and my bill on an all electric home is about $85 a month. Gas is only available in areas that were built before 2007, and I believe that company is TECO.

Telephone, TV, internet are about the only companies you can have a choice, and even that depends on where you live. Comcast, Century Link, Directv and Dish are available just about everywhere in TV, however you'll have Spectrum available south of 466A, it used to be called Brighthouse. If you want something simple for a tenant, I would go with Comcast.

As far as not owning a car, would you shop at Kohl's? They are not golf cart accessible. Neither is Orlando, Ocala, Tampa, etc. Plus, depending on if your home is centrally located or not, a golf cart trip for me to say, Lopez Country Club and golf course is a 50 minute cart ride each way, and I'm north of 466A. Remember TV, not counting Fenney and the newer areas, is about 35 square miles. Even if you can get there by cart, sometimes you'll wish you had an air conditioned car to get you there when it's above 90 degrees for about 5 months of the year.

Thrash pickup and water for drinking and irrigation and your amenity fee is all provided by TV and will come on one bill. Lawn service you'll have many choices. One of the best features of this website is the ability to search. When I moved here I had a legal pad filled with names of painters, handymen, landscapers, and etc and I got them all by searching this site, the button is at the top.