View Single Post

Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM

I have replaced my brushes two times on a 2013 Yamaha Gas I bought from TV. I have 20K miles on my cart. The job is not that hard and takes about two hours. Hitachi makes the starter/generator for my cart, model Gsb107 – 06K. These numbers can be found on the starter itself. Amazon carries this unit for about $110. The first time was approx. 2 years ago at which time I replaced the brushes for $12. The second time was just last month and when I replaced STARTER MOTOR BRUSH HOLDER ASSY which included the brushes. This cost $21 and was a little harder to replace. I don’t know how long this will last. The part of the armature where the brushes ride is quite concave from wear. I suspect this is what made the brushes I installed two years ago wear out so fast. One can replace the armature and brushes for about $70 (Amazon) but at that point I’d opt to replace the whole unit. Note the starter/generator will work in both directions – clockwise and counter clockwise. Pay careful attention to the where the wires go as this what controls which way it turns.