View Single Post

Old 11-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTClark45 View Post
I believe that I am the first poster with GPS, since 2016. While admire posters for suggesting cost savings units the cheap ones, such as Ed linked to are based upon 3G technology. This will be going away. If you are going to install one use a 4G based model. The downside is you will almost certainly pay a monthly fee, typically 8.00 a month.End Could Be Near For 3G In The United States

The article says "COULD BE" near not "is" near. They aren't putting telemetry devices on 4G LTE so fast. That plus this device uses Verizon who, the article states, is only shutting down it's 1X network at the END OF 2019. This is using the faster UMTS network. I doubt there are many 4G LTE asset trackers out there. That band would be superfluous for this type of telemetry device. If you look at the company who makes this specific device (The New How for the global connected economy - CalAmp) who is the parent company of LoJack, while I can't speak for the eBay stuff, the zillions of devices CALAMP has in the field I don't think they will all go extinct so fast. They make about 15 models. They mostly serve the car rental and construction asset tracking industry. I wouldn't panic so fast.

Spec sheet attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LMU-330_v4.pdf (149.5 KB, 662 views)

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.