Thread: Ptsd
View Single Post

Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I read an article one time about a study they did on children who had been through severe circumstances, poverty, abuse, homelessness etc. Some never lost hope and made it through to a better life and some just gave up. They said they felt that some of these children possessed "survivor genes" which I found to be very interesting since I think genetics affects so much in our lives.
I agree. There is much in today's research that suggests that the physiogony of the brain and behaviors may well be an inherited trait and the ability to withstand stress, as well as greater or less ability in social interchange is genetic. Dr. Ursula Bellugi at the Salk Institute has contributed greatly to this theory.

Having said that, some things happen to people at a vulnerable time in their lives and it changes them and they are unable to live without terrible memories that make them incapable of normal living. I think that humans are compassionate with others to the degree they have insight into this problem. Some people are born with less or more compassion and more or less mental ability that education cannot change, and insight cannot change. That makes crime and punishment a whole new issue. I don't know how future generations will deal with behavior that falls out of the perimeters of acceptable and "normal".