Thread: Ptsd
View Single Post

Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM

My 28 year old son died of an accidental overdose on Sept 22nd. He was an Iraq veteran diagnosed with PTSD and was on 100% disability. He had been out of the Army for 5 years and those 5 years were a nightmare for him and his family. He completed several programs to try to get better, even going to VA programs out of state because he wanted help. The last 5 years have seen times of hope and times of despair. Times of sobriety and times of relapse. He and we always held hope that things would get better but they would for a while only to return. He could not sleep, could not maintain a relationship with a significant other, and his anxiety in social situations was off the chart. I say this because before I had a family member with this problem I was skeptical of PTSD but never again. I hope the OP wasn’t inferring that, and I assume he wasn’t. I know whatever it’s called , whether battle fatigue, shell shock, etc. the horrors of battle in all wars, whether the Civil War, WW II, etc has left veterans that were never the same.