View Single Post

Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHNS2654 View Post
We are switching from ATT to Verizons. because of poor reception where we live in Maine.

One of our phones was new enough and compatible with Verizon .Bought one new phone and opened Verizon account.

The phone we are trying to port to Verizon we discovered is locked by ATT. This phone was purchased new from Apple, and I find it hard to believe that ATT can have it locked. Any how I requested it be unlocked two days ago and recently discovered it was in suspend mode and it would take at least three more business days before it is unlocked.

That will make it almost a week and maybe we will have use of our second phone.

If your are going to change providers make sure you get phone unlocked before you open new account.

Your message is a bit unclear.

Apple sells their devices 3 ways:

At a carrier store or through the carrier via Apple either with (1) monthly payments OR (2) PAID in full. These are always locked. If paid in full they will unlock (it used to be immediately) but starting recently there is a "hold time". I think only the T-Mobile version comes unlocked through a carrier store - at least it used to, not sure if it still does.

And (3) "SIM FREE" and must be paid in full with no carrier specified. This is fully unlocked out the door and you choose your supported carrier and get one of their sims. You can ONLY get SIM FREE from APPLE.COM or at an APPLE STORE not through or at a carrier store or website.

Not sure which version you got but ONLY the last one is unlocked "out the door." With the others you are at the carriers mercy. The fact an AT&T phone is compatible with Verizon or T-Mobile does not have anything to do with whether it is locked or unlocked or how soon they will unlock it if paid in full.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-15_21-57-43.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	77385  

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-15-2018 at 10:09 PM.