View Single Post

Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJ View Post
We have only been here for a few weeks and I'm not sure what rules exist about dog behavior in the dog parks. We take our Lab to the dog park near our home here in the Villages. He loves to chase a ball. Today there was a "hearding" type dog that would not leave our door alone. The owner sat on a bench reading on his phone. No matter where we moved this dog would get behind our dog and growl and nip our dog everytime he would run for the ball. I went over and asked the owner if he could keep his dog from doing this. He said his dog did this naturally and he couldn't stop it. We again moved to the far side of the park but his dog would not leave us alone. I was getting concerned my dog either getting hurt or hurting the other dog. I went back and again asked the owner if he could control his dog. He said he would not and that he wasn't going to leave just because another dog came to the park. Rather creating confrontation and also not being sure of how things run here in the villages I left with my dog.

So two questions. First is it acceptable for a dog to growl, nip, and try to bite another dog? Second if the owner is notified and they do nothing, what is the proper way to proceed? I was concerned that my dog was going to get tired of the nipping and then one or both of the dogs could have got hurt.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
We have experienced the same problems in the dog parks. Bottom line is that there are some dog owners that simply are not responsible. They go to the park and hang out and ignore their untrained dogs. Some people are so clueless! Their dogs terrorize other dogs and the owners don't even pay attention. Our dog just wants to play ball and has no interest in being bothered by other dogs. I can't count the times we were having fun in the park and then the gate opened and in came our reason to have to leave. If people can not be in control of their dogs, they should not make it the problem of responsible dog owners. Unfortunately, there is now law against being stupid, inconsiderate, lazy, and irresponsible. However, there is a law against responsible dog owners dolling out some justice to these idiots.