View Single Post

Old 11-29-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa_Jim View Post
So, is the general rule of thumb that it is much cheaper to have work done by outside contractors rather than the Developer? e.g., painting, adding crown molding, adding birdcage, adding pull down stairs, etc?

I guess I'd pay a LITTLE bit more for the convenience of having the work done by the Developer, but I wouldn't want to pay a LOT more.
General rule of thumb - yes. In a perfect scenario, you'd be better off getting the basics of everything from the builder and then replace it all with higher grade upgrades after construction. But it's rarely a perfect scenario. Maybe it's not worth it to you to move into a home and then be put through having someone coming in to rip out and replace things like cabinets, counter tops, flooring, etc. Then again, if you can take possession of the home and not move in for a while, maybe there is an opportunity to have those things done and save some money. As others suggested, I would focus more on the structural things that are either difficult or impossible to change after the fact, such as stretches and bigger garage space, and then decide if the things that are a bit easier to change after the fact are worth it to have them done how you want them to start or you prefer to go back and change them later. The truly extra things like backsplashes, moldings, lighting and fans, etc., should be much easier to just not include in the initial design but add/change them later on. Things like attic stairs are a no-brainer. Plenty of companies that will come pop those in for you in no time and at a reasonable price. (That is probably the one thing that makes no sense to me that they don't include already, given the effort and cost, especially in an already upgraded spec home.)