View Single Post

Old 12-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

I am under 60, and in general it’s pretty good. When joining activities you tend to find your level, which doesn’t correspond to age all that much.

I did play in a pickle ball league, and there was some discussion about someone joining who was under 50. I think they left him in the league as a sub. But if you are lining up for pickleball, or playing in private groups, age really doesn’t come into play.

There is a concern on health care. The Villages Health, which is the health organization with the most offices in the villages, will take Blue Cross and other insurances only if the patient is under 65. Once they are over 65 and qualify for Medicare they need to either go to United Healthcare or pick a doctor outside the Villages Health system. For couples who are not the same age but on the same health insurance this means once one hits 65 only one may use the Villages Health system while the other cannot until both reach 65.

Other than the health care issue, most disadvantages to be under 65 are minor. I get tired of hearing the 50s and 60s music at the squares, though they are adding in bands that play 80s and 90s music. The neighbors tend to tease me about my age. If I’m not careful in my local shopping I do end up dressing like my mother.

Oh, and pack your patience, but that really goes for all new residences of the Villages. People are retired here. Some are just not in a hurry. They might be driving a bit slower than you’d like to drive or chatting a bit long with the check out clerks at the grocery store, but they have the time, and they earned it.