View Single Post

Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
So, if you are invited to dinner at someone's house, how do you let the host know about foods you can't "stomach?"

I have customarily asked dinner guests if they have any allergies, and foods they don't eat. Also, if you invite me, I will mention that my husband does not eat pork. Why? Well, glad you asked ...

Many years ago, a really close co-worker invited us out on her boat for the day, to be followed by dinner at her house. She packed a variety of sandwiches: Ham, Salami, etc. My husband tried hard to be discrete but it was obvious that he was not eating. When we got back to her house, we found she had a wonderfully, delicious smelling Roast Loin of Pork in the oven! It was impossible for him to hide that he wasn't touching the meat. When we discussed and disclosed that he doesn't eat pork, she truly felt horrible. I don't ever want to put someone in that position again so I come right out and tell you ahead of time.

I think it is nicer and kinder to be upfront than it is to let you go to the trouble of preparing a meal that will not be eaten.

Not everyone agrees with me, by the way.