View Single Post

Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Really not that hard if you replace with the same kind. Simply turn smoke detector to left ( If I remember correctly) slip it out of the mounting bracket, unplug. Then, either use the old mounting bracket or loosen the two mount screws, turn the bracket, remove it. Install the new bracket, snug the two screws, pull the plastic tab separating the back up bateries, plug the fire detector harness in, align slots, turn to right to secure the fire detector, push the test button and you’re done. Takes about 5 mins. I used magic mark and marked it so in 6 months I know what direction to turn it and how far to turn for separation. As for the fire department doing it for free, they do it when they are wait mode, and the whole station don’t come out and do it. It’s public service. It also depends on which county you live in to what’s required by the code and whether you’re house is rental or not.
And now the "Official Version" from the District Web Site:

Smoke Detector Program
The Villages Fire and Public Safety Department offers smoke detector assistance to residents of The Villages as part of the Fall Prevention Program.
• This program is designed for residents of The Villages who are disabled or are unable to climb a ladder
• Smoke detector batteries should be changed once per year
• Help with smoke detector battery changes and/or installations can be arranged by calling 352-205-8280 Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you call after hours or on the weekend, a recording will direct you to an alternate phone number
• Residents are required to purchase the batteries or new units
• There is no charge for this service
• The Villages Public Safety Department employees will arrive at your home in uniform, with a visible name badge
• As a reminder, this assistance is strictly for smoke detectors. The employees visiting your home will not be able to assist you with non-related smoke detector issues or concerns

Note there is nothing in there about COUNTY, CODE, or RENTALS.

This is a GREAT program for us Villagers..... and that is about all that needs to be said. When people don't know what they are talking about...... maybe they should STOP typing.

One other note..... I've never seen a cat skeleton in a tree!

C.W. Guy - Retired FireCapt./EMT