View Single Post

Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 PM
Sage

Streaming Hi-Def (1080p) consumes about 5 megabits per second of bandwidth. 4K (2160p) consumes about 20 megabit per second of bandwidth. We used to stream Netflix Hi-Def to 2 separate TVs with a 10 megabit per second download service. Regardless, some of the streaming services, such as Netflix, are adaptive; they will adjust the resolution downward to match the available bandwidth so there aren't any buffering delays. I suspect most people pay for more internet bandwidth than they really need. Webpages with lots of graphics may load perceptively faster with a higher bandwidth service. I now have 40 megabits per second download from CenturyLink (it hits a sweet spot in their pricing at $35 per month) and it is more than sufficient and I used to move around 50 gigabyte tarballs for work.

There are several VoIP services available. We have used Ooma for several years and have been happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
It sounds like you are only buying internet from CenturyLink. Do you use some kind of VOIP for phone? If so, how is that working? Is 80 mbps fast enough to stream television?

Thanks.

Last edited by biker1; 12-05-2018 at 11:49 PM.