View Single Post

Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Letter from Pres GW Bush to IBM CEO...

Just saw this in a news source - from a major news Anchor who was preparing to cover Pres Bush's service yesterday. GW's concise words of wisdom showed his true being, and points we all should live by (in a perfect world...).
Following is the Anchor's intro then GW's letter>
--------------------

As I was preparing this week to co-anchor the news live coverage of President George H.W. Bush’s state funeral, I was combing through notes and emails from Bush family friends and former administration officials who had been watching our coverage since President Bush’s passing Friday night.

I came across one email from a friend of mine who is a very close friend of the Bush family from Maine, former IBM CEO Sam Palmisano.

I had missed Sam’s email Monday night. It included just a few lines and an attachment. It read, “41 sent this to me in December of 2009. It says all anyone needs to know about his values. Great coverage today, Sam.”

I opened the attachment to find a handwritten note from President Bush to Sam in 2009 about the president’s advice for young people. I read it and immediately thought to myself, “I need to find a way to read this on air during our funeral coverage tomorrow.”

The letter says:

“I cannot single out the one greatest challenge in my life. I have had a lot of challenges and my advice to young people might be as follows

Don’t get down when your life takes a bad turn. Out of adversity comes challenge and often success

Don’t blame others for your setbacks

When things go well, always give credit to others

Don’t talk all the time. Listen to your friends and mentors and learn from them

Don’t brag about yourself. Let others point out your virtues, your strong points.

Give someone else a hand. When a friend is hurting show that friend you care

Nobody likes an overbearing big shot

As you succeed, be kind to people. Thank those who help you along the way

Don’t be afraid to shed a tear when your heart is broken because a friend is hurting.

Say your prayers!!

George Bush”