View Single Post

Old 12-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have seen Chromeboxes with 4 USB ports. In the unlikely event that you need more then you can buy a low-cost USB hub. Various card readers are also available, if not already present in the box, as are DVD drives. Chrome is basically cloud-centric when it comes to storage; a lot of stuff you store in the cloud. Someone with basic needs, such as the OP's friend, is unlikely to require large amounts of local storage. If more local storage is needed, however, a larger SSD can be installed or a USB drive added. Software wise you essentially get the whole google suite as well as the ability to run Android apps. I doubt a basic user will want for anything software wise. Since there is no OS to install or upgrade and viruses and malware are non-existent, it isn't clear to me why anyone with basic needs would bother with a Windows system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The additional features I was thinking about were additional usb input ports, micro and mini card reader ports, a dvd/cd read and record drive, built-in internal hard drive storage of 500 to 1000 gb, and the Windows Media Center and Media Player software, which are some of the best media software programs for music I have ever used. Many people have complained that one reason they don't like Windows 10 is that Microsoft eliminated the Media Center software from the Windows 10 software package.