Thread: Speedometer
View Single Post

Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
A speedometer for a vehicle that is designed for the golf course? That only goes 19.8 mph?
Ah, if only people didn't mess with their governors and get their golf carts to do well in excess of 19.8 mph! How many times have you been doing 30 mph in your car and barely managed to pass a golf cart? Also, the speed limit drops to 10 mph in the town squares and that's a bit harder to estimate without a speedometer.

According to the Wildwood police department, getting caught doing over 20 mph on a golf cart means you're driving an unlicensed street-legal vehicle illegally on a multi-purpose path, plus the speeding element. The fines do run over $600.

And it's true that most smart phones do have a map function that will show your current speed. But that means A) leaving your phone on and running the app all while draining the battery and B) trying to view the screen that isn't really optimal for viewing in direct sunlight.

The guy who does this advertises in the first section of the paper every Monday. Look for an ad that says something like, "Speedometer - $80, Tickets - $680". I had him put one on our cart and he comes to your house to do it. I think it's well worth having and find mine very easy to read. Perhaps the only downside of it is that the odometer rolls over at 1,000 miles so you really can't use it to track the total miles on your cart. However, the gas gauge on my cart shows the number of hours of total usage, so I just multiply that by 20 to get an estimate of total miles.