View Single Post

Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Hello everyone,

A really nice pre-owned Ruby Patio Villa went up for sale in the Village of DeSoto (Fenney) at 5653 SPARTINA TERRACE. It's at the end of the street and is fenced on 2 sides, perfect right? Apparently the original owner(s) of the home lived there for a very short time and then "had a change of heart". We looked on Google maps for an overhead of the area and on the other side of the fence are non-Village residents in a variety of houses in a somewhat forested area.

We're in Michigan and have a call in to our Villages sales agent. I'm actually not even sure if those non-Villages residents are still there because the Google map might be old. Does anyone on the forum here live in that area and can comment on living in close proximity to non-Village residents? Is there any resentment about The Villages buying all the land in the area. Do the non-Village residents have a generally positive attitude about the Villages developing all the land around them? I'm always worried when I hear "change of heart" and the house seems so nice and in a great location.

Thanks for any information / opinions you can provide.

Mike from Michigan
I'm going to just bite my tongue and ignore a lot of the other responses that I badly want to add my 2 cents to. I live in Fenney but not just on the other side of a fence from non-villagers. However, they are around us but have yet to be any kind of issue for us. They are people too and were likely here before we were. Being a villager or a non-villager, or being from Michigan or from Florida does not, in itself, make them a better or worse neighbor than the ones that may be living on the other side of you. It's great, as a whole, that so many people here are friendly and nice, but there are always the few exceptions and, in my view, it's not necessarily relative to which side of the fence they live on.

In my opinion, the rule of thumb to use here is buy the house that you like in the location you like. You don't get to choose your neighbors, but odds are you will have many more good ones than bad. I'd worry more about what might be on the other side of a fence 2 years from now than what is there now. Many of the properties I have seen that border or are around this area have for sale signs out and some have even sold already.

As to your question about on resentment, my bet is that quite a few aren't happy about it while others don't care or they see it as an opportunity. But I haven't seen any protesters marching in the streets or throwing things at passing cars - they keep to themselves.

As for burning trash, I can't say a non-villager hasn't done that, but I'm not seeing any evidence that it is a regular or even weekly occurrence. However, I have seen huge piles of things being burned by the developer as the area is quickly transforming into residential developments and/or supporting infrastructure.

As for dogs barking - most dogs bark and many villagers have dogs, including me. Mine happen to not bark often or much, but it's unrealistic to move anywhere here and never expect to hear dog barking.

I do hear a rooster crowing in the distance from time to time. It's not loud from my location, I can only hear it if I'm outside, and I find it, if anything, kind of charming.

We've lived here 7 months after moving down here 8 months ago with no intentions of buying this far south. We don't regret anything and have loved every minute.