View Single Post

Old 12-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Default Forgive me but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.

I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."

Huh?

It's amazing what is important to some young people. I love kids, but I'd like to see them appreciate their history. I believe that the smartest kids are as smart as kids have ever been. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not so sure.
What you are reporting is the FAILURE of our education system.

Our education system spends more per student than any other in the world yet, last time I looked we are about 23rd in terms of success.

As to the lady in Mcdonalds. As suggested by others-she was trying to get you out of there so she could handle the next customer WAITING in line.

Far as history. History as taught, as indoctrinated in school, is first of all boring and secondly POLITICALLY CORRECTED-far removed from reality.