View Single Post

Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Have not paid attention to T for a while. But you made me look.

It is clear to me that steady dividend investors probably are starting to think about their shopping lists for 2019.

This bull has been running since 2009. I have not felt good about the 2018 market because I felt there was an artificiality to it, especially because of all the corporate buybacks.

A good economy is supposed to be reflected in a low unemployment rate, which we have. But nobody seems to talk about what kind of jobs those are and if they include benefits. What percentage of income is being swallowed by healthcare costs? At what point does consumer confidence wane and/or the consumer hits a wall of debt? Just how solid are the underpinnings of this economy?

I feel like things are happening awfully fast right now, lots of moving parts.

But, Ken, for what my opinion is worth, I think you are smart to be thinking about the potential for good buys on solid dividend payers. But who knows when to take a leap. Dollar-cost averaging in might be an approach to consider. (Please remember though that I know not much.)
I've been in ATT for years. I just couldn't help myself and bought a couple hundred shares at $28.25. lol.. I figure a 7% dividend and a P/E ratio of 14 it's worth the risk. I might even put in another buy order for $28. I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Heck I'm even considering taking a small position in GE. At the current price the only downside is bankruptcy.. lol

I still have several years until retirement. I can be patient.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!