Thread: Married singles
View Single Post

Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

I can understand your situation and I'm sure that there are quite a few people in your predicament. I don't think I've heard of any particular groups that cater to this idea of "married singles" you have, but perhaps there should be. In the mean time, you might want to look into groups that support people with spouses suffering from Alzheimer or dementia. In addition to support for each other, there may be some social aspect to them as well.

I respect your being open about this and hope people don't make light of it. The late Margaret Thatcher (former prime minister of the United Kingdom) was in a similar situation. Her husband slid into dementia and was eventually placed in a memory unit. While there, he gradually lost his memory of his wife but was still healthy and active enough to begin a sexual relationship with another patient. When asked about it, Ms. Thatcher claimed that she had no issues with it because he deserved a little happiness. Well, so did she, so does your spouse and so do you.