Thread: Best Tacos
View Single Post

Old 12-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,461 Times in 3,089 Posts

Moe's beats taco hell for chain-restaurant tacos. If there's a Pancheros anywhere near you, I'd try that too. They're pretty good up here in CT, just opened one up in the last year. If there's a good taqueria nearby definitely give it a try. It's not what you'll find at a typical American-style Mexican restaurant. No cheese, no beans, no lettuce, no peppers and olives. Just a spoonful of protein (fish, ground beef, carne asada, tongue, pork, chicken, etc), chopped white onion, and chopped cilantro on a very small double layer of soft corn tortillas. Add a few drops of red or green sauce and that's lunch.

Those are the only "chain" places I'd ever eat a taco. I never go to taco hell unless I'm really hungry and have only enough change in my car's change-bucket for a couple of originals. Taco hell's cooked food isn't even actually cooked there. It's pre-cooked, bagged and frozen, then reheated at the store in microwaved ovens, then kept in warmers on the prep counter. They give it a stir every 20 minutes if it's not busy, just so it doesn't crust up. It's not even mostly beef. It's mostly corn starch, yeast, and ground oats, plus sweeteners and artificial flavors and emulsifiers and preservatives. Pretty disgusting.

Also - just FYI: taco sauce is a commercial American "Mexican-style" restaurant invention. It's mostly a taco hell invention, and a few places that copy it. If you want hot sauce on a taco, put hot sauce on a taco. If you want salsa, use salsa. I like my non-taqueria tacos with pico de gallo on them. I only like fresh salsa, not jarred or made with powdered ingredients, so I tend to not use salsa if I'm going anywhere other than a local joint that makes it from scratch.