View Single Post

Old 12-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Default Re: Investments

There are so many wise saying re: the stock market and at anytime some are right and some are wrong.
One of my favorites is no one is right all the time. To make money you only need to be right more often then you are wrong.
You can confirm this if you look at any of the funds or perhaps Buffet or whatever. The experts with staffs etc are not right all the time.

We, including me, are lulled into the information provided by the people with a vested interest. A vested interest to me means why are they providing that information. We come up with impressive words like risk tolerance. The truth is our risk tolerance is far higher on the way up than on the way down.

Today is 12/24/2018 this past week the S&P500 dropped 7%. I don't know the percentage I lost last week but I hope it was less than 7% as I've deliberately purchased low beta stocks.

The first question to ask yourself is why are you investing in the stock market? Next when will you need that money-time? Next your payment to the taxman?

What to do? BEATS ME.
SUGGESTION-it is easy and it is free. Do morningstar fund x-ray. You do not need to put in your dollars but you do need to have the percentage of the total of your whole that each stock or fund represents. The report will show you percentage of large cap, small cap, mid cap, foreign domestic etc that you own. If, you have a similar service available from your brokerage
you may find it interesting to discover that you will not get the same information as far as percentages from your brokerage report compared to fund x-ray. The Fidelity outline counts the contra fund (fcntx) as it's title-large cap growth fund. Fund x-ray shows it for what it is-they hold if I recall over 400 different stocks and even some bonds. The fund includes some mid cap, small cap as well as the large cap stocks.