View Single Post

Old 12-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 758 Posts

I think appraisals for insurance purposes are often retail prices.

There is a type of jewelry insurance sold by jewelers that insures "replacement" by a jeweler -- not "cost of replacement."

When insuring jewelry, it is a good idea to talk to your homeowners agent about riders.

Starflyte, I also think you might be disappointed in what you might find in offers in the marketplace. If other options could be a part of your decision and you know a trusted jeweler who designs, you might want to think about creatively resetting into a necklace or pin -- if that appeals to you.

retiredguy123, sometimes you can tell if a diamond is really old by the cut -- old mine cut diamonds, for instance, go way back, sometimes close to, or more than, a century. Age has nothing to do with quality though. In fact, the really old ones are often of very high quality.

and --

Dear Marilyn Monroe,

I am so sorry to inform you that although I still love that song you sang, "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend," alas, you were wrong. Actually, a semi-gutsy, informed, careful, dividend-paying stock buy, all by herself, is a girl's best friend. (But I admit, it does not sound that good set to music to sing while wearing a gorgeous, glamorous gown.)

Sincerely,
Boomer

(Ba dum ba da -- (bump) TIFFANY! Ba dum ba da -- (bump the other direction) CARTIER!)

Last edited by Boomer; 12-24-2018 at 02:20 PM.