View Single Post

Old 12-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I started this thread in August. Just now, I read back through it. Then I went to Google where I found lots of current news on the subject with comments by those who, unlike me, are actually qualified.

I just read that 2018 has seen a trillion dollars in corporate buybacks, so far. Those buybacks are investments in the stockholder instead of investments in research, innovation, employees, building new US facilities -- things that would actually contribute to improving the overall economy.

I realize some of you do not agree with me. But I remain of the opinion that 2018 has been a smoke and mirrors market.

But, also, I bet that there are dividend investors who have not bought anything new this year, but are now making a list, checking it twice, going to find out what has been naughty or nice -- over the past decade, at least, not just during this freak show of a market.

Disclaimer by Boomer: My qualifications for market commentary? I got nuthin'.
But how does that compare to prior years? And if it has increased (which I'm sure it did) did R & D and employee spending increase also? Or did all of the tax break money go into buybacks?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!