View Single Post

Old 12-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Has anyone read the book "The Aftershock Investor" by Wiedemer and Spitzer? A very good book to read if you are concerned about your investments. As a retired investment professional, I can only find very little with the author's premises to argue with. Since the latest version of the book was written, their theories have only been enforced, and the bubbles have grown much larger and more dangerous. Our growing national debt is the most toxic bubble imaginable, and in my opinion will ultimately be the downfall of our great nation as we know it (see Greece). Our personal financial position is fortunate as we project that we can live a modest life until we are very old on our savings without any investment income besides modest interest. Therefore, we do not own any stocks and are insulated from the possible future market meltdown. We have our money in safe money market accounts, tax free municipal bonds bought a long time ago with good interest rates, and gold. I feel very compassionate for those who rely on future stock market growth as their primary source of retirement security as there is no security in hoping an inflated market will bail them out. I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but I would not bet our retirement security on it!