Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I nominate Vanity Fair from Amazon Prime for the best binge since Downton Abbey.

Vanity Fair is set in the early 1800s. (again, the clothes are a bonus) William Thackeray wrote Vanity Fair in the mid-1800s, at first as a serial published by Punch in 20 monthly installments before being published as a book. (How did they ever get along without the opportunity to binge on a story.)

Thackeray subtitled his book A Novel Without A Hero.

It was written as a satire on English society with its distinct class lines -- when those of higher rank were known for their obsession with knowing one's place and staying in it. And those who were left out could be obsessed with getting out by moving up, whatever it took.

The story centers around Becky Sharp who is determined to rise above her class. She has the brains and the beauty to get a lot of things done. Her machinations are memorable.

I think many of you will consider Vanity Fair to be binge-worthy. (I am not finished with it yet, up to the 3rd episode and trying hard to wait until tonight to turn on the television. But I know I can recommend it without hesitation.)