View Single Post

Old 01-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Default Re: Roth conversion

To do or not to do. No one on this website does or should have the needed information to advise you.
I am a contrarian. It was not that long ago when the talking heads were all singing the same song. Taxes are low the government debt is rising surely they will go up-RUN OUT, CALL ME, CONVERT TO OUR ROTH IRA BEFORE THE SKY FALLS DOWN.
HUM. there was a time when you could convert to a roth and then if you wish reverse it-If, I recall you needed to do the retraction the first year.
First the reversal option has been removed. Secondly rather than to go up AS THEY WERE SCREAMING, taxes have gone down.
As I stated elsewhere, your RMD is calculated on you living to be 100. You may want to look into an inherited IRA, My mother had an IRA-less than 100,000. When she passed away she left it to my sister and me as an INHERITED IRA. I'm not yet 70.5 but I do need to-AM FORCED TO take an RMD on that account and yes it is taxable to me-my mother never had to pay the tax on it. It is a bit of a pain in the neck BUT, it is a gift that keeps on giving years after my mother's passing. Aside-I could if I wished to withdraw the entire amount and pay tax on it. Surely, she would have had far more had she invested in the stock market.
Had she invested in the stock market say she bought ??????
for $100 over the say 42 years she had saved if it went up long term for the market of 8% a year it would be worth about 525.
I would have received it valued at the time of her death so 525
That 425 gain would not have been subjected to double taxation