View Single Post

Old 01-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Had the same problem when we bought our house. The valve leaked and spewed water all over when being shut off. I just turned off the water, put a pair of channel lock pliers on the faulty fixture, and unscrewed it. Replaced it with a regular hose fixture that does not have that stupid vacuum breaker thing. I put plumbers tape and silicone on the pipe threads when installing the new hose fixture so there would not be any leaks. Never had a problem since. I was told I would have to put on one of those vacuum breaker things if I ever sold the house so it would pass inspection. I will deal with that if the time ever comes? The backwash issue into the water supply is ridiculous. First, the water pressure would have to go to zero, and second, a hose would have to be attached to the fixture where the hose was submerged in contaminated waste, and then back pressure would have to be initiated. That equation is just about impossible, and would never happen at my house since the hose is always either reeled up or totally disconnected. Now when I shut off my hose I no longer get soaked by the vacuum breaker, and no more leaks. All good.