View Single Post

Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Karen83, oh my, do I ever take umbrage at your remark....

"I just returned to nursing 4 years ago after raising my family and although the conditions have certainly changed for the worse and in spite of critical attitudes I have experienced in patients who think they are staying at the Hilton, I love nursing! IMHO, the good outweighs the bad. (on most days)"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You bet they're staying at the Hilton, better yet, they're staying in a Penthouse in Manhattan, $$$$. I think you are blaming the sad state of medical care in the USA on the patient. Patients are not admitted for hangnails these days, (unless there is a staph or MRSA infection involved), and are only admitted if they are truly ill or a surgical patient. (OB case's excluded). The understaffing situation in hospitals currently is ludicrous and patients are putting their lives on the line in some care situations. I have 5 different medical situations that I could relate illustrating the sorry state of care. My emphasis is NOT on the nursing staff but the lack of adequate nursing staff and aides in the hospital settings. Resources spred way too thin is a huge problem and I have no idea how it will be resolved. BTW, there are 6 RN's in my family and they are the best! But additional staffing is required to cover those shifts. And I will give you, there may be a few demanding patients but some of those become demanding when call bells aren't answered, pain is unrelieved at the appropriate time and so forth. And all that diminished attention for a small fortune. Maybe the CEO's need less income and public companies making their money off the ill could do with a little less and proportional staff to patient numbers could be maintained.